We would like to cordially invite you to our open house! The Ferguson Municipal Public Library has seen many changes over the last few years. Reconnect with your hometown library and stop by on Monday, September 25 for some light refreshments and to hear about some of the work we are doing. Library Director Scott Bonner will give some brief remarks at 5:30. See you there!
Notice of Public Hearing
Tax Rate – Ferguson Municipal Public Library District
A Public Hearing will be held at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, September 25, 2017, at the Ferguson Municipal Public Library District, 35 N. Florissant Road, at which citizens may be heard on the property tax rates proposed by the Ferguson Municipal Public Library District, a political subdivision. The tax rates shall be set to produce the revenue that will be budgeted for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2016. The rates allowed under the existing tax rate ceiling are at or below the $0.2200 authorized by Ferguson voters. The Library District may make adjustments pursuant to Missouri Revised Statutes Section 137.073, and as required by Law, in accordance with Article X, Section 22 of the Missouri State Constitution.
Please see the attached file for more information.
Ferguson Municipal Public Library in Ferguson, Missouri, needs a service-oriented, part-time Library Assistant! You will be the person who makes that first impression for the library, and helps patrons throughout your shift. This position requires customer service experience, and excellent people skills.
Requirements for the position:
– At least 2 years experience in customer service, preferably in a library setting. College education is also preferred.
– Computer experience, including word processing, Internet, and the ability to learn and use the Library Circulation System effectively.
– Read, write, and speak very well.
– Ability to establish and maintain courteous and effective working relationships with staff, patrons, and local citizens, and also maintain composure while handling complaints from the public.
The Library Assistant:
– Maintains good relations with public and staff, in a courteous and tactful manner. You must be both patient and firm.
– Greets library patrons, answers the telephone, and performs a wide range of public contact duties.
– Consistently presents the Ferguson Municipal Public Library and its services in a positive manner and adheres to customer service guidelines and procedures as established by the Library.
– Uses Library Circulation System to circulate materials to patrons including checking materials in and out, processing holds, registering borrowers, and collecting fines and fees.
– Helps patrons locate materials and information, print and digital, requesting help from other staff as needed.
– Helps put away library materials and keep our shelves in order.
– Performs the countless tasks necessary to keep a library running. Libraries have infinite work, and a lot of variety in tasks. Assists in library operations, including opening and closing the library and circulation desk, counting money, using Library Circulation System to print reports, emptying book drop, and more.
– Promote and maintain safety in the library.
– May perform general clerical duties or special projects as assigned.
– Is dependable and ready for duty at/during scheduled times.
– Is able to carry-out established procedures and policies.
– Has a positive work attitude.
– Must be able to stand for extended periods of time, lift/carry 25 pounds and reach shelves for retrieval or shelving of materials.
– Has a strong commitment to service, teamwork, and professional standards.
Ferguson, one of the oldest cities in St. Louis County, has a rich history and strong identity. It is a diverse community of around 21,000 wonderful people. The Ferguson Municipal Public Library is independent, but also part of the Municipal Library Consortium, a collection of 9 municipal libraries across St. Louis County.
Starting schedule will be Monday 1-8, Tuesday 4-8, Thursday 2-8, Friday 12-6, every other Saturday 9-4. You would have a set and consistent schedule, but you may be asked to shift schedules occasionally in unusual circumstances, such as working additional shifts to help cover time off for other employees. Starting pay will be between 9 and 11 dollars per hour, depending on qualifications and experience. The position does include holiday pay, but does not include regular sick pay or vacation pay, and does not cover health care costs.
Applications should include a cover letter and current resume, and be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, or to
C/O Ally Hinterser,
35 North Florissant Rd,
Ferguson, MO 63135.
We will consider applications until the position is filled in a rolling interview process, so quick response will increase likelihood of getting an interview. The Ferguson Municipal Public Library District is an equal opportunity employer.
– Ally Hinterser, Circulation Librarian
To celebrate National Library Week, we are having a fine-free week. That means that any items you return between April 11 and 16, we will remove the fines from your account, no matter how overdue the items are! This is a great opportunity to get your account back down to zero and see what’s new at the Ferguson Public Library. There are a few exceptions:
– Excessively damaged items will not be accepted. If the disc is cracked or pages are torn and missing, you will still have to pay the replacement cost for the item.
Only items that say “Ferguson Library” on them will be accepted. We can’t waive fines on items that don’t belong to us, even on items that you requested from other libraries in the Municipal Library Consortium. EDIT: We can waive fines on items that belong to other libraries in the Municipal Library Consortium!
– Old fines on your card will not be waived. We are only waiving fines on items you return between April 11 and 16.
We look forward to seeing you in April! Welcome back to the Ferguson Public Library. 🙂