There are THREE open positions
Two Part-time Library Assistant (top of page)
One Part-time Shelver (scroll down)
Two positions open: Part-time Library Assistant
Ferguson Municipal Public Library in Ferguson, Missouri, needs two service-oriented, Part-time Library Assistants! You will be the person who makes that first impression for the library, and helps patrons throughout your shift. This position requires customer service experience, and excellent people skills.
The daytime position is about 16 hours a week, in 3-4 hour shifts:
Mondays 1-4, Wednesdays 9-1, Thursdays 12-4, Fridays 9-1, and some Saturdays (1 out of every 4 weeks) from 9-12.
The evening position averages about 8 hours a week, mostly in 3 hour shifts:
Monday 5-8, Wednesday 5-8, and some Saturdays (1 out of every 4 weeks) from 9-4.
When you apply, please specify which position interests you.
You would have a set and consistent schedule, but you may be asked to shift schedules occasionally, such as working additional shifts to help cover time off for other employees. Starting pay will be around 15 dollars per hour, more with qualifications and experience. The position does include holiday pay, but does not include regular sick pay or vacation pay, and does not cover health care costs.
Requirements for the position:
– At least 2 years experience in customer service, preferably in a library setting.
– College education is preferred.
– Computer experience, including word processing, Internet, and the ability to learn and use the Library Circulation System effectively.
– Read, write, and speak very well.
– Ability to establish and maintain courteous and effective working relationships with staff, patrons, and local citizens, and also maintain composure while handling complaints from the public.
– Must be able to stand for extended periods of time, lift/carry 25 pounds and reach shelves for retrieval or shelving of materials.
The Library Assistant:
– Maintains good relations with public and staff, in a courteous and tactful manner. You must be both patient and firm.
– Greets library patrons, answers the telephone, and performs a wide range of public contact duties.
– Consistently presents the Ferguson Municipal Public Library and its services in a positive manner and adheres to customer service guidelines, policies, and procedures.
– Performs the countless tasks necessary to keep a library running. Libraries have infinite work, and you will help with opening and closing the library and circulation desk, using Library Circulation System to print reports, emptying book drop, and more.
– Will perform special projects as assigned and some general clerical duties.
– Manages the milieu, including dealing with problematic patron behavior and calming tense situations.
– Uses Library Circulation System including checking materials in and out, processing holds, registering borrowers, and collecting fines and fees.
– Helps patrons locate materials and information, print and digital.
– Helps with processing and cataloging materials.
– Helps put away library materials and keep our shelves in order.
– Picks up shifts to help when teammates call in sick.
– Promotes and maintains safety in the library.
– Is dependable and ready for duty at/during scheduled times.
– Is able to carry-out established procedures and policies.
– Has a positive work attitude and a strong commitment to service, teamwork, and professional standards.
Ferguson, one of the oldest cities in St. Louis County, has a rich history and strong identity. It is a diverse community of around 19,000 wonderful people. The Ferguson Municipal Public Library is independent, but also part of the Municipal Library Consortium, a collection of 9 municipal libraries across St. Louis County.
During the interview, you can expect to be asked questions about your experiences with bad behavior from customers, with going above and beyond in your work, and your strengths and weaknesses.
Applications should include a cover letter and current resume, and be sent to:
email@example.com, or to
Ferguson Library, C/O Scott Bonner,
35 North Florissant Rd,
Ferguson, MO 63135.
We will consider applications until the position is filled in a rolling interview process, so a quick response will increase the likelihood of getting an interview. The Ferguson Municipal Public Library District is an equal opportunity employer.
Position open: Part-time Shelver
Ferguson Municipal Public Library needs a diligent and dependable Part-time Shelver! This is an ideal first job or after-school job. The shelver helps maintain the order of the library stacks, making the collection usable and attractive. It is a detail-oriented job that requires accuracy above all else.
Your schedule would be 10 hours per week, spread as evenly as possible across the 6 days a week the library is open. This makes it easy to do as an after-school and Saturday activity. You would have a set and consistent schedule, but you may be asked to shift schedules occasionally. Pay starts at $12.30 per hour, but can go higher with experience. The position does NOT have other benefits like sick or vacation pay.
- Arrange and properly shelve books, audio-visual materials, magazines, newspapers, etc.
- Review shelves so nothing is out of place or in need of repair, and inventory materials.
- Shift, dust, and straighten materials, and other tasks necessary to maintain proper organization, including moving materials.
- Be friendly and helpful with patrons, and determine which staff person can best help.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Help out at the main circulation desk as needed.
- Be 16 years old or older.
- Be very consistent, dependable, on time, and attentive to your duties throughout shift.
- Be able to organize materials in proper numerical and alphabetical order, including knowledge of the decimal system.
- Be able to lift up to 25 pounds, push heavy book carts, shift lots of books from one area to another, put up with dust, stand for prolonged periods, bend at the waist, kneel and/or crouch, and perform tasks requiring physical agility and repetitive duties.
Applications should include a cover letter and current resume, and be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or to
Ferguson Library, C/O Scott Bonner, 35 North Florissant Rd, Ferguson, MO 63135.
We will consider applications until the position is filled in a rolling interview process, so quick response will increase likelihood of getting an interview. The Ferguson Municipal Public Library District is an equal opportunity employer.