TWO open positions!
Both for Part-time Library Assistant!
Ferguson Municipal Public Library in Ferguson, Missouri, needs a service-oriented, part-time Library Assistant! You will be the person who makes that first impression for the library, and helps patrons throughout your shift. This position requires customer service experience, and excellent people skills.
Requirements for the position:
– At least 2 years experience in customer service, preferably in a library setting. College education is also preferred.
– Cataloging or processing experience in a library setting preferred.
– Computer experience, including word processing, Internet, and the ability to learn and use the Library Circulation System effectively.
– Read, write, and speak very well.
– Ability to establish and maintain courteous and effective working relationships with staff, patrons, and local citizens, and also maintain composure while handling complaints from the public.
– Must be able to stand for extended periods of time, lift/carry 25 pounds and reach shelves for retrieval or shelving of materials.
The Library Assistant:
– Maintains good relations with public and staff, in a courteous and tactful manner. You must be both patient and firm.
– Greets library patrons, answers the telephone, and performs a wide range of public contact duties.
– Consistently presents the Ferguson Municipal Public Library and its services in a positive manner and adheres to customer service guidelines, policies, and procedures.
– Manages the milieu, including dealing with problematic patron behavior and calming tense situations
– Uses Library Circulation System including checking materials in and out, processing holds, registering borrowers, and collecting fines and fees.
– Helps patrons locate materials and information, print and digital.
– Helps with processing and cataloging materials.
– Helps put away library materials and keep our shelves in order.
– Picks up shifts to help when teammates call in sick.
– Performs the countless tasks necessary to keep a library running. Libraries have infinite work, and you will help with opening and closing the library and circulation desk, counting money, using Library Circulation System to print reports, emptying book drop, and more.
– Promote and maintain safety in the library.
– May perform general clerical duties or special projects as assigned.
– Is dependable and ready for duty at/during scheduled times.
– Is able to carry-out established procedures and policies.
– Has a positive work attitude and a strong commitment to service, teamwork, and professional standards.
Ferguson, one of the oldest cities in St. Louis County, has a rich history and strong identity. It is a diverse community of around 21,000 wonderful people. The Ferguson Municipal Public Library is independent, but also part of the Municipal Library Consortium, a collection of 9 municipal libraries across St. Louis County.
We have two positions open.
– Position 1 is days and afternoons, 12-4 on Tuesdays, 9-4 on Wednesdays, 12-4 on Thursdays, and working one Saturday a month from 9-4.
– Position 2 is evenings and weekends, 4-8 on Tuesdays, 4-8 on Thursdays, and two Saturdays a month from 9-4.
– We will consider combining these positions for the right candidate.
Starting schedule will be two evening shifts every week, from 4-8pm on Wednesdays and Thursdays. You would have a set and consistent schedule, but you may be asked to shift schedules occasionally, such as working additional shifts, including evening or Saturday shifts, to help cover time off for other employees. Starting pay will be around 11-12 dollars per hour, depending on qualifications and experience. The position does include holiday pay, but does not include regular sick pay or vacation pay, and does not cover health care costs.
During the interview, you can expect to be asked questions about your experiences with bad behavior from customers, with going above and beyond in your work, and your strengths and weaknesses.
Applications should include a cover letter and current resume, and be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, or to
C/O Scott Bonner,
35 North Florissant Rd,
Ferguson, MO 63135.
We will consider applications until the position is filled in a rolling interview process, so quick response will increase likelihood of getting an interview. The Ferguson Municipal Public Library District is an equal opportunity employer.
– Scott Bonner, Director